Tuesday 24 July 2012

Jute or Yarn Lantern



So this post is inspired by a lampshade we bought from B&Q for about 10 pounds to replace a broken paper lantern and it looks so much nicer for just a little bit extra. But when I took a look around the cottage it made me want to replace the other 4 lanterns that came with the place (and we don't have 50 quid laying around for new lamp shades) so instead I set out on a search for how to make them myself. This tutorial is a mixture of some of the ideas I saw online with my own newbie twist on anything "modge podge". 


Well all together this project (2 jute lanterns and 2 brown yarn lanterns) cost about 4 pounds and I have supplies to make a few more! (((Soon to come: cute spin on this with water balloons and christmas tree lights)))


Supplies:
-Homemade "modge podge" (PVA glue and water)
-Jute, yarn or hemp
-Balloon
-Plate to put glue in
-Scissors
-Plastic garbage bag for floor
-Sharpie marker
-Needle and thread 




Steps:
1. Start by blowing up your balloon to the desired size for your lantern. Next draw a circle around the tie of your balloon (large enough for you to fit your hand inside to be able to take out the balloon later).


2. Pour a good amount of modge podge in to your plate and begin to dip your yarn into it. Run the yarn through your fingers to remove the excess glue. Start to place the wet yarn around the circle you drew and then in circles around the balloon until you get the desired depth you want.




3. Carefully place a needle and thread through the top of the balloon to hang to dry.



4. Wait at least 48 hours before popping the balloon and peeling it away. Attach to hanging light with excess yarn.


Words of wisdom: don't be impatient. I read to wait 24 hours in most of the posts but maybe my jute was a little more glue soaked then other's...I popped the balloon after only one day and the inner layer of jute was pulled into the centre of the shrivelled balloon. But, I was thinking quickly that morning and  blew up another balloon inside to push the layer back out to the perimeter, now it looks pretty twisty. But its the jute one at the top of the page...can you tell?

1 comment:

  1. I love it! I'm going to have to make one! Now I'm looking forward to more ideas to try!! :)

    ReplyDelete